Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Frankfurt Book Fair Day 1





Last night before I had dinner with Jenny, I met our Canadian friends Rob and Colleen for a drink.  We met at the hotel where I used to stay, the Best Western, and went across the street to a wine bar in the local neighborhood.  The Best Western is in the student part of town near the University.  Rob and Colleen told me about Rob’s 60th birthday and their trip to Tuscany over the summer, along with his planned trip with his German friend driving a Vesper in the south of Italy next year.  Rob’s daughter Kerrie, was married on the day before his birthday in the Rockies and it sounded like a great family celebration.  Rob reminded me of his grandfather who lived to be 105!  After drinks, Colleen and I walked back to the Marriott where I met Jenny in my room.  She stayed with me last night and we shared cups of tea and chat over breakfast this morning.

 

Today was the first business day of the Fair and it was very busy.  There seemed to be fewer American here compared to other years; however, there were many Europeans.  The corridors were very crowded with attendees.  I had meetings every half hour from 9.30am until 5.30pm.  I managed to sneak a cheese sandwich and glass of water for lunch and had a nice chat with an Australian man who now lives in Singapore (after I had accidentally trodden on his toe!).  Later in the day I met Geoff and Ruth from PQ and showed then our photos of our visit to Auckland.  Geoff has recovered from his back surgery and seemed very well.  Then tonight I went in a taxi to a grand hotel in the country outside Frankfurt called The Schloss.  It has tall ceilings, staircases with long red carpets, huge paintings on the walsl and wooden beams.  It is quite famous as a place for wealthy visitors to Frankfurt.  Dinner included delicious pasta with truffles and some very good European cheeses.  All in all a good, but tiring day.

No comments: