Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kempinski Hotel, Frankfurt Germany





I arrived at Frankfurt airport at 7am after a long flight from Toronto.  It was foggy and misty as the taxi drove along the freeway at top speed as we made our way to the Kempinski Hotel Gravenbuch.  The hotel is reminiscent of the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley with its grandeur and spacious grounds.  It has a lovely indoor swimming pool, spa and clay tennis courts.  For breakfast I dined at the buffet that served all sorts of fruits, yogurt, breads, meats and eggs cooked on request.  The scrambled eggs were delicious!  The coffee kept me awake as I was feeling quite jetlagged. When I could no longer keep my eyes open I took a short nap and after my colleague Kate arrived, we went for a long walk in the forest adjacent to the hotel.  Many of the locals were taking strolls or riding their bikes through the leafy paths and trees which were starting to change color. It was a lovely autumnal afternoon.  We retired to the hotel for more coffee to keep us going, then dined at the restaurant on shrimp, veal and chocolate mousse.  Dessert was accompanied by fireworks in honor of the German masters golf competition.

No comments: